Live Without Regret, Vaccinate Your Pet
To protect your pets from contagious diseases, keep their essential vaccinations up-to-date. This is important even if your pet is kept mostly indoors. Many contagious diseases are airborne and your pet could easily be exposed through an open window. Also, there is always a risk that your pet could accidentally slip out the door. Boarding kennels, dog parks and grooming salons are all areas where your pet is likely to be exposed to contagious diseases so be sure to consult with your veterinarian before taking your pet to any of these places. It is also important to keep in mind that vaccinations take a few days to a few weeks to become effective.
Essential Vaccinations for Your Dog
- Distemper, Hepatitis, Parainfluenza and Parvovirus (DHPP)
- Commonly called the “distemper shot,” this combination vaccine actually protects against the four diseases in its full name.
- Rabies virus is fatal and all mammals, including humans, are susceptible to infection. Rabies vaccinations for dogs are required by law in most states.
- Bordetella (commonly called “kennel cough”)
- The bordetella bacteria causes an extremely contagious upper respiratory infection. Your veterinarian may recommend this vaccine before your dog goes to a dog park, groomer, boarding kennel, doggie daycare or dog show.
Essential Vaccines for Your Cat
- Feline Viral Rhinotracheitis, Calicivirus and Panleukopenia (FVRCP)
- Commonly called the “upper respiratory” shot, this combination vaccine protects against three diseases: feline viral rhinotracheitis, calicivirus and panleukopenia.
- Rabies virus is fatal and all mammals, including humans, are susceptible to infection. Rabies vaccinations for cats are highly recommended but not required by law in Arizona.
- Feline Leukemia (Felv)
- Felv is a viral infection that can be easily transmitted through close contact, and this vaccine is primarily recommended for cats that go outdoors.
To schedule an appointment for your pet to be vaccinated call us today at (520) 327-5624.